In early October I was invited by the Family Resource Network in Oneonta, New York to present for six hours on A Full Life with Autism: Preparing for the Real World. It was a pleasure to meet everyone there and I promised to post some resources here in regards to puberty, hygiene and sexuality. I have added a few in regards to bullying and abuse as well.
For those unfamiliar with my book on adolescence, there are many resources listed in it on a variety of topics. You might find it useful as a general guide: Adolescents on the Autism Spectrum: A Parent’s Guide to the Cognitive, Social, Physical, And Transition Needs of Teenagers With Autism Spectrum Disorders (Penguin).
Please read descriptions of the following books on-line so you can decide which of the books would be appropriate for your tween, teen or students.
- Autism – Asperger’s and Sexuality: Puberty and Beyond, by Jerry and Mary Newport
- A 5 Is Against the Law! Social Boundaries: Straight Up! An honest guide for teens and young adults
- Taking Care of Myself – A Hygiene, Puberty and Personal Curriculum for Young People with Autism by Mary Wrobel
- The Girl’s Guide to Growing Up
- The Guide to Dating for teenagers with Asperger Syndrome
- Intimate Relationships and Sexual Health
Here are some resources in regards to bullying and abuse:
- Transcript: Autism Safety and Crisis Prevention conference on AutismCollege.com.
Hope you find these resources useful!